Tuesday, June 26, 2012

4 Things Sewers/Designers Can (and Should) Learn From Modcloth

One thing I love to do is to search the internet for inspiration. Modcloth is one of my favorite places to drool get fun new ideas.

What kind of things can we learn from Modcloth? Well, clean our your ears, and put on your reading glasses (yes, I do realize you aren't all Shrek's Grandma) and start taking notes!

4 Things Sewers/Designers Can (and Should) Learn From Modcloth:

1) Find unique fabrics. Now, even using the simplest pattern you can create a unique shirt!




Peanut Gallery Panache Top
Each and Aviary Way Top
Duck Duck Cute Top














2) Use bias tape the same color as your garment (or not) to make unique necklines.





You can either make your own bias tape using Clover Bias Tape Maker
Or, you can buy ready made Bias Tape.




 3) change up them hemline of your dress to make your creation unique and wow - worthy dress:









4) Put some effort into the back - emblish the back as you would the front and surprise everyone just as you turn away.







Coral Coasts Top in Blue Hit the Ground Stunning Dress
Peach you to the Punch Dress




















What do you think? Will you keep this is mind when you decide on your next project? I know I will!

11 comments:

  1. I love the bias tape lattice idea, I'm absolutely going to file that away for future reference. And I always have loved cut-out details on the back of garments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always want to make pretty things in the front but I investing in the back is just as important! (that what all the cool kids do)

      Delete
  2. Great suggestions! I love "unique" fabric... but my tastes end up with me dressed more like a toddler than a nearly-thirty. One day I'll get the balance right!

    Ellen
    http://button-lover.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! all of us vintage lovers have to worry about that. I'll post a post about a dress I made in a few days which I kind of feel like a toddler in. but I love it just the same!

      Delete
  3. A great post, I really like all the examples you picked out. the necklines are something to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to do a lot of searching to find my best picks :)

      Delete
  4. Ugh, ModCloth, I just want to roll around in a pile of their clothes on the warehouse floor and whisper sweet nothings. Weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a dirty dream about a modcloth dress. I judge no one.

      Delete
  5. Great post! I am always looking to mod cloth for inspiration too!
    I must try using the bias tape at the neckline one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know if you ever do! I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  6. WOW! You are so talented. Thanks for sharing these lovely tips and ideas. I had never thought of these simple techniques to incorporate into my sewing projects and upcycling/alterations.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...