Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cat Blouse

The first look! and more importantly - the look that started it all...

The Cat Blouse!



 Yes! it's made out of quilting fabric with little cats! I admit the pattern isn't very ooh-la-la but I thought I should keep it simple because the fabric is SO CUTE!

I used my bodice to create this pattern, I was inspired by the Colette Sencha Blouse and Gertie's (or Vogue's) Bow Tie Blouse and created a vintage silhouette (which admittedly you can't see in this picture, I basically look like a balloon. I blame it on the Doctor Peppers I've been drinking non stop for two months).

It might be more obvious in this one:



 You can see the definition of the waist better in this picture. (Though sadly I'm wearing a deer-in-the-headlights look. I still can't decide if I like this picture much). I made it a little longer than the blouses I mentioned above and seemed to have over compensated out of pure hysteria because the last few blouses I've made have come out quite short.

Yesterday, I talked about how I had to put a lot of thought into the making of these blouses. When making clothing with the intention of selling them, you really have to think about how long each process will take you, otherwise you will have to charge a FORTUNE for the garment you're making. The issue with this is thinking about time and also thinking about the finishing of the garment at the same time. You don't want to send out a garment that looks like a piece of crap or damages the integrity of the original design because you're trying to save time.


The focal point of this blouse is the buttons in the back. now I know you can't really see them well and I blame that on the busy print, but I assure you they're quite prominent in real life!

One of the examples for thinking about the way I do things is the back button placket, let's take a closer look:


In the original blouse I had an actual separate placket for the buttons that I cut on the bias. I decided to shorten my sewing time by elongating the back pieces to overlap and creating a facing to make the button strip sturdier. In retrospect, I can't really decide which design I like better. This definitely saved me at least half an hour of construction (it might seem silly but these things add up!) but maybe the placket made the button more noticeable? Anyway I felt that this gave the blouse a cleaner finish and made it simpler to construct. What do you guys think? would it have been better to leave a separate placket?


I'd love to hear your thoughts! I love this shirt, I love the fabric, I really think that you can't find this kind of shirt at a store - at least not out of cotton! It's definitely work appropriate and is quite easy to accessories because it has such a simple cut!

What do you think about my hat? A friend made it for me (YES it's the same friend I made a Cinderella Dress for and have mentioned too many times) It turned out a tiny bit small but I have the option of stretching it a bit because it's felted. Thoughts? should I leave it like this?

I'll share more simplifying techniques I used as we go along. What do you guys think of the basic idea? do you think of the easiest way of doing things when you sew or would you rather spend more time on a garment and use a more complicated technique?

Tell me!

6 comments:

  1. cute cute cute - where can I find this fabric please ? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for a back placket, it definitely makes sense to do the turn-over technique (okay, what's the proper technique called?) versus making a separate piece. I think it's cleaner because it doesn't break up the pattern, and it is less likely to make people think your shirt's on backwards.

    And are ya kidding me, I always look for shortcuts in my sewing. I plan my fabric purchases around what color thread is in my serger so I won't have to change it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing this technique ever since.. it's SO much easier! but I still notice that in RTW button up shirts the button placket is separate, WHY?? I don't get it!
      haha you cracked me up with the serger comment! I actually tie my serger threads together (is it weird that I only have black and white threads and kind of use each for light/dark fabrics?) and press the pedal and it works like a charm!

      Delete
  3. Definitely do things in the quickest way possible, I mean there are so many other things to make and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!
      even though I've started enjoying taking the extra mile with clothes I make (for example I started embroidering which takes HOURS but adds such a cute flair to garments!)
      but I agree, if I can take a shortcut I will. no questions asked!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...