Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Peackock Embellished Blouse

On to the next look of my Fall Look Book!

This is one of my favorite blouses! I made it out of this drapey flowy fabric that was a dream to sew with and I love the way it flows and drapes on by body.


 I loved this fabric so much I went back and bought another shade of purple of it!

Anyway, I don't know if you can tell but this is the same silhouette as the Cat Blouse, I actually love that the fabric is so different from the cat cotton that the silhouette looks quite different!



While thinking of what to make for the store I thought of what elements I could incorporate into my clothing that aren't usually incorporating into RTW clothing. One of them was this peacock feather I found at a craft store. I assume the reason feathers aren't usual used in RTW clothing is because they're not easily laundered - but I think this has a certain hand made (notice I didn't say homemade) appeal to it and attention to detail that just can't exist in mass made items.


This is the point where I come clean and say this is the version of this blouse that I made for myself and not for the store. The store version does not have fabric covered buttons in the back but a zipper. This is another one of those ways where I changed the design a bit to make it simpler and quicker. I know this is a bigger change than the back placket I was talking about in the Cat Blouse but making buttons and fabric covered buttons would have added another hour to the blouse, which is something you have to think about when selling on consignment as you can't charge as much as you would if you were selling independently. (And as well all know, time=$$)


Onto the feather! I had quite a think trying to figure out how to connect in tot the shirt. In retrospect, maybe incorporating it into a pleat might a been a good idea but I didn't want to have to do too much drafting. I decided to create a little triangle, which in my opinion gives it a kind of tribal arrow look that I like.
It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I cut a triangle out the fabric, and starched the HECK out of it.( I really think that starch is a sewer's best friend, especially for sewing difficult slippery fabrics.) I then pressed all the raw edges in, creating a smaller triangle and glued the feather to the triangle with fabric glue,  I let it dry and sewed it to the shirt slowly with very a very small stitch length.
What do you guys think?




A little but about my shoes - the friend who I have been selflessly sewing for (re - Cinderella Dress) bought me this pair of shoes as I have been eying leopard loafers for quite some time (when I say eying I mean emailing her weekly pictures of these leopard babies) as a reward for my friendly sewing she bought me these shoes, I proceeded immediately change out of a pair of black flats (black? who wears black?) I was wearing and shuffled up to the kitchen (the shoes were still tied to each other with string elastic) to pour us some celebration wine. Anyway, if you crave these as well, she got them at Target for 14.99$! I just had to spread the word to my modest following - because to who else will I share my shoe secrets?


Have you ever sewed with feathers or any other unique embellishments? What do you think of using them in your sewing? What do you think of the fall looks so far?
Have you ever used starch while sewing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...